Monday, December 01, 2008

The Wrecking Crew: How Conservatives Rule


I finished reading The Wrecking Crew: How Conservatives Rule by Thomas Frank. The book is divided into two parts-Insurgents and Saboteurs. I like Thomas Frank because he is the founding editor of The Baffler. The notes toward the end of the book are very detailed! So much so that I fluctuated between having them within the book to make it stronger-but then-sales would be lower because attention spans are shorter and those who want to explore further can do so towards the end. I believe in Thomas Franks conscience.

The book details how public policy turns into private sector bidding wars. The book taught me about the revolving doors in Washington D.C. that spin with corrupt polticos and their lobbyists. I was stunned how up-to-date the book became at the last chapter. The book details how the negative info flys so fast towards the public (which creates publ;ic despair) and then makes situations ripe for politicians.

My cartoon is lifted from cover art by Stephen Oliver/Getty Images designed by Lisa Frye.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gardenia said...

Yep - its a nasty sick system. Hopefully some changes will happen.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home